"I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful." Oscar Wilde

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Childhood Memories

While sewing this quilt top together I kept having flashbacks to Persian Yellow roses that grew along side my great grandfather's house. I could picture crawling between the house and the roses. I could feel the heat of the summer and the sweet over powering smell of the roses. The last time I was at the old family farm all the roses had died from neglect and drought.



Yesterday I went to a wedding reception out at the old family farm. I found these rose bushes. I thought they were all gone. With them a flood of childhood memories came back. I remember my grandfather lifting me up and setting me on the refrigerator. At age two picking my brother, two years younger than me, up from off the bed and then somehow getting him back on the bed before my mother found me with her darling boy. Driving a truck at age 2 ½ while my father was feeding the cattle. The washing machine with a lawn mower engine and a hose that took the exhaust fumes out of the house. And the most outstanding memory was the rattle snake that was playing with my cat in the front yard. I think that is when my feelings towards snakes was formed.

No comments: