"I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful." Oscar Wilde

Thursday, July 22, 2010

This is the Place State Park

This weekend the state where I live will be celebrating 163 years since the pioneers were driven from their beautiful city on the Mississippi River and arrived here in Utah. I took two of my grandchildren with me for a little Utah history lesson.

In about 1927 my father lived in this house. At that time the house was located about 700 east and I80. About 15 years ago the house was cut up and moved to the mouth of Emigration Canyon.





This is the first LDS Academy built in Provo. I have a vague memory of seeing this building in downtown Provo. It didn't look this good. Later a new academy was built on University Avenue in Provo. When I was in high school I went to the 2nd Academy building which was called BY High. Now that building has been come the Provo City Library. Both buildings were the beginning of BYU. Yes and I went to BYU.




The girls and I both agree that the next time we go it won't be in the middle of July. IT'S TOO HOT!

No comments: