"I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful." Oscar Wilde

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Why Did I Become a Teacher?





I must have been lacking in judgment the day I made the decision to go into education! Not really. But there are days when I have seriously questioned my sanity. Actually my major wasn’t education. It was early childhood development. The elementary education was extra.

At the time I started college my intended major was clothing and textiles or art. As soon as I saw how much fun my roommates were having in their elementary education classes I started think about changing my major. Later my mother introduced me to early childhood education. I found it very interesting. I discovered why children had trouble learning.

When I was a child in elementary school learning didn’t come easily for me. It seemed that all knowledge was stored in one room. I would see my fellow classmates go to the door of the room where all knowledge was kept and have free access. But when I would go to the door it seemed that the door was locked, the key melted, and the lock smashed. I needed to find a different way to get into the room where all knowledge was kept.

No comments: