"I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful." Oscar Wilde

Monday, June 13, 2011

It's a Pie!

It's a deep dish strawberry rhubarb pie! And it's all mine! When I have more time I'll have to download the recipe along with the adjustments I made. I've GOT to get me a rhubarb plant. This stuff was good.



RECIPE INGREDIENTS*
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
3 cups strawberries, sliced
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 small sugar cubes, or 1/4 cup sanding or pearl sugar
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie

DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and tapioca. Add strawberries, rhubarb, orange peel, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss gently till fruit is coated. Let mixture stand about 15 minutes, or till a syrup forms, stirring occasionally.


Meanwhile, coarsely crush sugar cubes if using; set aside. Prepare and roll out pastry as directed. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of pastry. Stir fruit mixture; transfer to pastry-lined pie plate; trim pastry even with rim. Cut slits in top crust. Place crust on filling. Trim, seal, and crimp edge of pastry. Brush top crust with water; sprinkle with crushed sugar cubes or sanding or pearl sugar.


To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20-25 minutes more, or till top is golden. Cool on a rack.

*I didn't use cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel. I also added about an extra cup rhubarb and a pinch of salt. The pie pan I used was larger than your average pie pan. I also used frozen strawberries.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a good lookin' pie. I'm a little jealous :(

deargoodness said...

mmmm, I love rhubarb! pretty please post the recipe, it looks delicious!!