"I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful." Oscar Wilde

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Need to Get Up on the Soap Box and Speak My Mind!

http://www.standard.net/topics/opinion/2010/03/26/obama-reid-pelosi-deserve-our-thanks

One of my brothers posted a link to the above article about civility in politics. You would have thought he just asked the family to join up with a jihad. It's not that I don't appreciate debate or the expression of opposing ideas. I’m offended by the pompous and degrading direction some of these debates have gone. I’m ready to say the entire group of debaters, “Get down off your rameumptom!” I feel like I’m being treated like some ignorant lower form of life.

There are several other members in my family who have stopped reading these debates because of the partisanship that is being voiced. Now weather these comments are being made innocently, on purpose, or with some kind of an agenda they are out of place and are driving wedges in the family. If individuals have a need to continue the debate they need to do it privately off line.

2 comments:

Marylois said...

I have found that if the replies get really lengthy I just skip them. A funny thing about rameumptons is when I first moved out here to Burlington and used that term no one knew what I was talking about.

All the places you love said...

The people I'm talking about DO know what I'm talking about and should know better.